Saturday, September 27, 2014

Hi Everyone! 大家好!

My name is Scarla Pan (潘乐家) and I'm a four-year senior. I was born and raised in Rolling Hills Estates, a small city in southern California, and when I was in 7th grade, my family moved to Beijing, China. As a kid, it was easy for me to ignore the Chinese part of my Chinese-American identity, because I was completely immersed in American culture. However, after moving to Beijing, I realized that my heritage has largely shaped who I am today, and it was only through learning more about Chinese language and culture that I came to embrace that side of myself. 

This is my fourth year volunteering for ACCO and my second year leading the younger and middle kid's group. My primary goal in these ACCO sessions is to spark interest in the kids to learn about Chinese language and culture by making the sessions both fun and informative. Each session will include a lesson on reading and writing Chinese characters, some sort of hands-on activity that is closely linked to Chinese culture, such as learning how to Chinese yo-yo, and often games that help the kids retain what they learned during the lesson. 

I'm looking forward to an interesting and instructive term! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or question and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.