Saturday, September 27, 2014

Hello

My name is Michael Shen, and I am a two-year Upper from Shanghai, China. I was born and raised in New York but I am living in Shanghai, China now. Both my parents are from Zhejiang province, and emigrated to the United States to attend higher education. While in Shanghai, I've attended both a Chinese local school and an international school. Due to this, I was given a unique opportunity to experience Chinese culture through the eyes of a local as well as through the eyes of an expat. When I was younger, I often ignored or even was embarrassed of the Chinese part of my identity. But as I got older, I gradually realized the importance of appreciating my cultural heritage, and how it played a huge role in me becoming the person I am today.


This is my second year volunteering for the ACCO parents group. Last year, we covered topics ranging from Chinese holidays and traditional celebrations to Chinese literature and pop culture. The goal of this year of ACCO is to provide a deeper understanding of important facets of Chinese culture as well as discussions on identity. Each session will provide a discussion on Chinese current events, Chinese food, and other aspects of Chinese culture, often supplemented by a video or article. Also, if you have suggestions for a topic that you want to see covered and/or are interested in, feel free to email us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or question and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.